Become a Medication Aide
Enroll in this state-approved Medication Aide class to advance your career in healthcare. You must be currently working as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in a skilled nursing facility/nursing home to be eligible to take this class. Not a CNA yet? Click here.
Why consider advancing CNAs to Medication Aides?
- Create a career ladder for your Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) and improve retention.
- Reduce your facility’s dependency on professional nurses in this tough labor market.
- Allow your nurses to focus more on patient assessment and identifying/addressing changes in condition.
"We staff our rehabilitation unit with a Medication Aide to assist with morning and evening medication pass. It has worked very well for us and allows the nurse to focus more on patient assessment and identifying and addressing changes in condition. When the nurse was responsible for this task, as well as all the treatments, assessments, etc., we found their day revolved more around the medication pass, and they were not as focused on the actual patient."
Becky Gunnarson, Director of Nursing
Dove Healthcare – Wissota Health & Regional Vent Center
Medication Aide Course Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalency diploma.
- Must be listed on the State of Wisconsin CNA Registry as eligible to work in federally-certified health care settings.
- Must have at least 2,000 hours of experience as a CNA in direct patient care within the last three years in a skilled nursing facility / nursing home.
- Within the last 90 days, must have worked a minimum of 40 hours as a CNA with the residents to whom you will be administering medications during the clinical experience portion of the Medication Aide class.
- Provide written verification from your employer.
- Provide four written letters of recommendations:
- Two from licensed charge nurses.
- One from the Director of Nursing at the skilled nursing facility where you will be working during the clinical experience.
- One from the Administrator of the skilled nursing facility where you will be working during the clinical experience.
While we are trying to secure additional funding via the Wisconsin Fast Forward grant, the current class fee is $1,030 per person with a five person minimum required to proceed with the class. If less than five people are registered, a premium charge will be applied in order to proceed with the class.
or 715-720-2283 for more information.